Recommend it

Aug 25, 2010

Bitter gourd Fry


Ingredients:
Bitter gourd - 4
Onions - 3 (chopped)
Garlic - 10 (crushed)
Red chilli powder - 3/4 tsp.
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp.
Salt (to taste)
Fennel seeds (saunf) - 1 1/2 tsp.
Coconut flakes - 2 tbsp.
Tamarind/Imli - 1 tsp.
Curry leaves - few
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp.
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp.
Besan/Gram flour - 1 tbsp.
Oil



Early Preparation:
Slice the bitter gourd and remove the seeds. Coarsely ground the fennel seeds and keep aside. Grind coconut flakes and tamarind together without adding water.

Method:
Heat a generous amount of oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds.When the seeds splutter, add the crushed garlic and saute till golden color. Add onion and saute till translucent. Now add the bitter gourd slices and curry leaves and saute for 2 minutes. Now cover the pan with a lid and saute every 2 minutes. Continue this process for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, add red chilli powder, salt, turmeric powder, coarse fennel powder and saute in low flame for 2 minutes. Continue cooking till the bitter gourds are tender. After that, add the coconut and tamarind paste, gram flour and saute for 5 minutes or till it becomes crisp. Serve as a side dish for rice.

Sent off to Priya's "CWS-Fennel Seeds" event

13 Bites:

Bitter gourds never looked this good.. nice n crispy..yummy yum!!

I love this veggie and that looks super yummy and delicious.

Liked ur version a lot..will giv a try...

Beautiful clicks.Like the addition of tamarind. I am sure your recipe makes this veggie tasty.

even i had this last week or so. looks delicious nandini

looks yum yum n mouthwatering fry..

botter gourd fry looks very delicious ...i not a big fan of bitter gourd but ur makes me drooling her...very tempering clicks too

Satya
http://www.superyummyrecipes.com

Just had today..I love this...looks so yum..making me to crave for some more

Beautiful dish, never tried adding tamarind..sounds interesting..

Awesome Nandini...you do have a variety collection of recipes here...:)
Come back leisure to drool over archieves...do drop in at my space sometime...

Lovely recipe,i dont like bitter gourd that much but this one looks yum,worth a try...

Hai Nandhu,

Nice to be on your site...

visit me when time permits...

Sameena@http://www.myeasytocookrecipes.blogspot.com

Dear Nandini
I saw your comment at my Karela blog...was wondering how I missed this dish !!! I now remember , I was in Taipei from 23rd to 28th Aug and missed quite a few.
There is no Karela dish which I dont like, including boiled Karela, hot rice, ghee and lot of extra hot green chili ...
I shall try this dish very soon.
If you love Karela, try chicken Karela kabab at my blog...awesome.
Have a nice day