Recommend it

Dec 3, 2009

Vaazhaithandu/ plantain stem with oats


When I saw Priya’s Snake Gourd & Oats Kootu and Vazhakkai & Oats Kara Poriyal, I was inspired to make the plantain stem with oats.
The only difference is that instead of grated coconut, I added oats. The taste was good. As both are high in fiber content, it is good for health.

Ingredients:
Plantain stem (chopped) - 2 cups
Onion - 1 (chopped)
Oats - 1/3 cup
Curry leaves - 5 leaves
Sambar powder - ½ tsp.
Salt (to taste)
Oil

For tempering:
Mustard seeds - ½ tsp.
Cumin seeds - ¼ tsp.
Urad dal - ½ tsp.

Method:
Add the chopped plantain stems in 1 cup of buttermilk.
Heat the oil and add the tempering ingredients.
When mustard seeds splutter, add the onions and fry till translucent.
Add the plantain stems without buttermilk.
Add sambar powder and salt. Mix well.
If the stem is tender, add a little water to cook or if the stem is hard, add extra water to cook.
Once the stems are cooked and water gets evaporated, add the oats and curry leaves.
Reduce the heat and cook the oats by covering the kadai with a lid.
Mix in between to avoid burning.
Finally add the chopped coriander leaves which I had added in a very little quantity.
Serve as a side dish for rice.


Sent off to Saraswathi Iyer's "Oats Feast" event.

22 Bites:

Great combo again UN.Perfect for health and good for stomach.

Kalakitinga Usha...Chance'e illa oats oats than..Superb dish!!will make soon..

wow...............sounds delicious and healthy.......

Its completely a different combination dear..Sounds new and healthy.......

looks delicious,nice click as always

Thats a wonderful combo..Nice click..looks really yummyyy

That surely is delicious. What all things do make with Oats? Very innovative thinking.

Really an interesting combo...sounds yummm

a very healthy meals...an award waiting for u on my blog..plz collect it..

U re in plantain spree... That is healthy dish!

plantain n oats the very title made my eyes run through the recipe.Lovely click too:).

unique combo...healthy and yumm...

Another great combination that I wouldn't have thought of myself. Looks very tempting...supera iruku usha...YUMMY!

great combo...thanks for sharing

u r posting all those which rnt available here..this is my most fav vegetable..this time wen I went to India, this was on my must have food item almost every single day.lovely dish nands

This is cool.. never heard of this combination, looks great.

nice combo..i made vaazhaithandu kootu ydy.... thanks for the entry....

looks so healthy and yummy.

I too love vaahaithandu poriyal...your is definitely a healthy dish...looks delicious too :)

Very unique and healthy combination, looks delicious !

Different combo, looks healthy and yummy.

Never tried with Oats,looks good