Recommend it

Dec 22, 2009

Meen Kuzhambu (Version-3.0) - Fish in Tamarind Sauce






















(Brinjals got submerged in kuzhambu so they're not visible in the picture)

Ingredients:
Fish pieces - ½ kg
Shallots - 1 cup (chopped)
Ginger-garlic paste - 1 ½ tsp.
Tomatoes - 4 (medium-chopped)
Brinjals - 3 (chopped)
Green chilies - 3 (slit-half lengthily)
Tamarind - 50 gm
Coconut milk - ½ cup
Red chili powder - 2 tsp.
Coriander powder - 2 tsp.
Turmeric powder - ¼ tsp.
Salt (to taste)
Curry leaves (few)
Coriander leaves - 2 tbsp.
Oil
Fenugreek seeds - ¼ tsp.

Method:
Soak the tamarind in 2 cups of warm water for an hour.
Heat the oil and add the fenugreek seeds and sauté it.
Add the onions and fry till they turn light golden color.
Add the ginger-garlic paste and green chilies. Fry till the raw smell fades away.
Add the tomatoes and fry till pulpy.
Add the brinjals and fry for 4-6 minutes.
Add the red chili, coriander, turmeric powder and salt.
Mix well.
Now add the tamarind extract plus 2 cups of water and bring it to a boil.
When the sauce reduces to 3/4, add the fish pieces and reduce the heat.
Cover it with a lid and cook till the fishes and brinjals are done.
Add the coconut milk, curry leaves and coriander leaves.
Serve hot with rice.

Note: Adjust the tamarind and chilies according to your taste.
You can also add the mango pieces by reducing the tamarind.

16 Bites:

What a coincidence,I posted the same.Fish curry along with brinjal & coconut milk sounds good.

Fish and brinjal...Nice comb dear..Kuzhambu sounds yummy and colourful..Perfect comb with hot rice....

Wow..Man thsi is looking so good.. I have to try this fish curry...

UMM...mouthwatering,would lov to eat with tapiyoca..

Lovely curry dear...............

Thats an unusual combo,sounds really interesting,but nice recipe as it looks spicy and delicious

wow what acolor I just made meen kuzhambu for dinner..... your recipe is little diferent then mine will try for next time.

What a color...love it. A new combo for me, never tried brinjal n fish..Love coconut milk in fish :-)

I too made meen kuzumbu today :) Your picture looks absolutely tempting and gorgeous...adding brinjal and coconut milk to meen kuzumbu sounds too yummy :)

I usually add brinjal to dry fish gravies..but i know in chennai they mix it with fresh fish also..never tried it though..ur fish gravy looks so bright and spicy..

I can feel the great taste just by reading....Would like to try it sometimes for the fish fans in my home..very tempting pic usha..:)

Fish kuzhambu looks fantastic..yenga ooru kuzhambu styleaa meen kuzhambu vachi irrukinga... yummm!!

All tamilian love fish and brinjal - even mango! tasty kuzhambu!

Dear Nandini
How come I missed the dish? A bong cant miss fish and sweet. I think I am having difficulty in dealing with blog notifications!!
I like this dish, I used to eat a lot while in Kuwait.
Now I know the recipe and will make soon..bit tired of eating garam masala fish, need to take a break with extra hot and sour fish curry
have a nice day

Dear Nandini
How come I missed the dish? A bong cant miss fish and sweet. I think I am having difficulty in dealing with blog notifications!!
I like this dish, I used to eat a lot while in Kuwait.
Now I know the recipe and will make soon..bit tired of eating garam masala fish, need to take a break with extra hot and sour fish curry
have a nice day