This is the first time I’ve taken part in the “Indian Cooking Challenge” (ICC). I used 2 liters of full cream milk. I got 1 ¼ cup of khoya in 3 ½ hrs. For sugar, I used 3 cups and water 3 cups. And guess what, I made this on Aishwarya Rai Bachan’s birthday.
Ingredients:
Jamun:
Khoya/khova/mawa - 1 ¼ cup
Maida - ¾ cup
Cooking soda - 1 pinch
Ghee (for deep frying)
Sugar syrup:
Sugar - 3 cups
Water - 3 cups
Rose essence - few drops
Saffron strands - 1 pinch (didn't add)
Cardamom powder - 2 pinches
Sugar syrup method:
Melt the sugar in water and let it boil till the syrup is sticky.
Remove from heat.
Add the cardamom powder and saffron strands.
When the sugar syrup is warm, add the rose essence.
Jamun method:
Sift maida with cooking soda for 2 times.
Mix this with khova and knead it into a dough.
Divide them into small balls without any cracks.
Cover the balls with moist cloth without touching the balls.
To avoid the cracks, wet your hands with ghee and roll the ball with the hands.
Heat the ghee in a wide sauce pan (or oil).
Now add the balls and fry them in the low-flame level (5 balls in each batch).
Stir the ghee or oil with a slotted spoon without touching the jamuns which means swirling the ghee or oil without tossing or turning the jamuns.
Fry till it turns light brown color and keep it on a kitchen towel paper.
Continue the same with other balls.
Now add these jamuns in the syrup and let them soak for a few hours.
Enjoy.
The Khova:
I stopped at this stage (khova/khoya). My shoulders were paining and my poor @$$ got numb sitting on the kitchen-counter top while stirring this from 8:45 am to 12:15 pm! AAH! I didn't move out of the place even a millimeter to avoid the milk burning! But it was worth it as the jamuns got over in 2 days. They melted in our mouths when popped in...






31 Bites:
Dear Namdini
I like the detailed step by step description and the finer aspect of making and frying gulab Jamun. A great learning for me. thanks for sharing
WOW such a gorgeous pic...mouthwatering jamuns...
hi nandini..great to knw that u made this on aishwarya's bday! I am sure every 1 would' ve enjoyed having this delicious yummy jamuns!
What a treat for Ash!! Sure she missed something really delicious! Yummy and perfect Jamuns, I can see they are sooo soft!! The garnish looks too cute! :)
Usha, those are looking really great..:)..I am so glad even after tolling so hard, you managed to make it in the end..:)
Superb and exellent clicks...So tempting and beautiful jamuns yummyyyy.
Perfect looking jamuns usha,mine are spoiled,they became every hard,all hard work gone waste
Awesome jamuns... I would love to make some - but it is the effort that scares me off...
Very well done!
Wow.. looks soooo tempting usha dear! Superb clicks..
Lovely click nandhini!!
Hi UN, they look so beautiful dear.Ash really missed ur treat for sure.
Usha raioda birthday ellam celebrate pannuvingala?? Droolworthy jamuns, udane rendu jamuna intha pakkama uruti vidunga...
Jamuns jamuns every where....nicely done Nandini,so tempting clicks...
The Jamuns look fabulous, I'm surprised it lasted for 2 days:)
Slurp!!!Looks fabulous!!Wat else i want..just gonna grab few from the click, tempting gulab jamuns..Perfect entry for event.
Excellent Jamuns.
The jamuns look fantastic Nandini,has turned out perfectly :-)
I think I will never get so much patience to make khova! They are gorgeous!
Absolutely delicious, looks lovely.
WOw, thats indeed gorgeous, lovely presentaion...clicks are too good:)who can resist this sweet:)
wow! it looks delicious!
Check out Oats series round up and i welcome u to join with us in the Variety Rice Series going in my blog!
I truly agree with you, they were melt in mouth kind, love your jamuns they are so perfect in shape :-)
Wow Nandini....the photo looks so tempting....absolutely mouth-watering jamuns :)
Too much of work!..:)
and they are tooo good! :)
wonderful clicks and yummmy!
Gosh!Those pics and jamuns are mouthwatering and just superb!
Nandini..what a delicious sweet treat.. Hard work pays..jamuns w/ home made khoa !!!they looks so yummy and tempting !!!!
love the touch of pistas, gr8 challenge
looks yummy and perfect :)
Gulab jamun from scratch..OMG , you spent a lot of energy and the result is truly very gorgeous. No store bought pack can make such a nice jamun. Nice click too Usha.
Gulab jamun from scratch..OMG , you spent a lot of energy and the result is truly very gorgeous. No store bought pack can make such a nice jamun. Nice click too Usha.
so tempting...worth the long process, rt?Nandini, there is an award waiting for you in our blog :-)
Post a Comment