Recommend it

Feb 23, 2010

Baked Falafel in Pita Sandwich

Falafel





















Ingredients:
Dried chickpeas - 1 cup
Onions - 1 (diced)
Garlic - 3 cloves (chopped)
Cumin powder - ¾ tsp.
Coriander powder - 1 tsp.
Chili powder - ½ tsp.
Parsley - 2 tbsp.
Coriander - 2 tbsp.
Baking powder - 1 tsp.
Bread crumbs - ¼ cup
Salt and pepper (to taste)
Olive oil

Method:
Soak chickpeas with enough water over night.
Drain the chickpeas.
Place the uncooked chickpeas in a food processor or blender with onions, garlic, cumin powder, coriander powder, chili powder, parsley, coriander leaves and salt.
Process all until pureed & NOT a paste (without water).
Now add the baking powder and give a pulse.
Transfer the mixture into a bowl and add the pepper (optional) and bread crumbs. Mix well.
Cover and refrigerate for a hour.
Form a ball or use a falafel scoop. I used a bottle cap to shape them.
Brush the falafels with olive oil on one side.
Bake them at 190°C for 25-30 minutes by flipping them in the middle of the baking (after flipping brush with oil on the other side and continue baking).


Tahini sauce

Ingredients:
Tahini - ½ cup
Fresh lemon juice - from 2 Indian lemons
Salt (to taste)
Garlic - 2 cloves (minced)
Cilantro - 1 tsp. (chopped)
Parsley - 1 tsp. (chopped)
Olive oil - 1 tbsp.

Method:
Mix all the ingredients in a bowl and add required water to make the sauce quite thin.


Pita Sandwich






















Method:
I lightly toasted the pita bread and cut it open into half . Stuff the pita bread with tahini sauce, sliced onion pieces, cucumber, tomatoes, olives, baked falafel and enjoy!

We had it for our lunch and the whole falafel batch was finished!

Note:
In Egypt, people don't use coriander leaves and chickpeas are substituted by fava beans.


Sent off to MLLA-20 event hosted by Rachel and originally started by Susan.

22 Bites:

I love this snack although it's like a full meal. I add Sour cream or yogurt on top too. Looks great.

Looks so yummy....Love the falafel...My fav dish

I love falafels and since you have baked them, I love them even more...

theay are very healthy.. loved ur baking idea..

Falafel looks yummy, crispy and mouth watering. Wonderful presentation. Perfect with tea.

Lovely. I like falafel too. Thanks for the recipe.

Wow i want to have this delicious sandwich rite now...yummmm!!

Scrumptious...lovely idea to bake them...Sounds healthy and beautiful clicks as usual :-)

It would be a satisfying lunch on go! Wonderful!

Wow,count me in, he he. Loved baked falafel and the pictures are too good, inviting:)

Very healthy and delicious sandwich Nandini...love your idea of baking the falafel...they look very crispy too :)

This is one of my favorites, looks perfect !

Never tried tahini sauce at home.Thanks for sharing the recipe!!

Thanks for dropping by my blog and leading me to yours. You have a lovely space here. Baking falafel is a nice idea.

I am drooling over the pic dear. This looks so good. I agree with Asha I like sourcream in it.

Thank you for sending this great recipe to My Legume Love Affair #20!

I love sandwiches .. healthy and filling .. falafel looks crispy usha ..