Recommend it

Apr 1, 2009

Veg. Fried Rice and Chilli Chicken

I deleted the original post accidently. Re-Posting the fried rice and chilli chicken. Many of you posted your comments. I am sorry, your comments are lost.

Many of us do have occasional urge to try Chinese food. In my home (country), the Chinese food is customized to our local taste. When I was newly married, my husband held a party for his colleagues in Bombay. There were quite noisy discussions about what dish to order. Many of them opted for Chinese food. When the food arrived, everyone got busy immediately with Chinese food. I could not tolerate more than 2 spoons of that fried rice because the rice was half-boiled and vegetables were crunchy (UGH!). I could just drink my favorite pomegranate juice. At that time, the Indo-Chinese was a strange food to me. All of them gobbled the food with complete satisfaction and I could see that their little satisfied faces. My husband wanted to order food of some other cuisine and I objected to it. And I was shy at that time. After I reached home, I had to gulp the warm milk. My husband’s intrigue in this food prompted me learn those Indo-Chinese recipes. Rice should be 50% or 75% boiled (Some people may have some digestion problems. The rice should be fully boiled in order NOT to be sticky for those who have digestion problems). After experimenting with recipes from Sanjeev Kapoor, Yan can cook, and other TV shows, I have built up this recipe. The real food tasters (kids) liked it.

Vegetable Fried Rice
Ingredients:
Rice – 2 cups
White Onion (chopped finely) - ¼
Or
Use the white onion bulb of the spring onion (chopped) – 5
Spring Onion (chopped) – 3
Carrot, Beans – ½ cup finely chopped
Ginger (grated) – 1 teaspoon
Garlic (grated) – 1 teaspoon
Soy Sauce – 2 tablespoon
White pepper powder – ¼ teaspoon
MSG (ajinomoto) - 2 pinches *optional*
Salt – required quantity.
Sesame oil

Method:
Boil the rice up to 50% to 75%.
Let the rice cool.
Add the oil in a cooking wok (heat – very high, work fast!)
Then toss in the ginger and garlic and sauté them.
Immediately include the onions and continue stirring.
After that, add the vegetables and fry.
Add the rice quickly into the wok and sauté them too.
Then pour the soy sauce, salt, msg (if needed), white pepper powder and mix well.
All the morsels (each and every one of them) of rice should be covered with the mixture. Remove from the stove.
Garnish them with spring onions.
Note: I didn’t add too much soy sauce.


Chilli Chicken

Ingredients:
Skinless Boneless Chicken – 1 lb.
White Onion – ½ diced
Ginger (grated) – 1 ½ teaspoon
Garlic – 1 teaspoon
Green Chillies (fresh) – 6 (slit lengthwise)
Spring onions (chopped) – 3
Red chilli sauce – 3 tablespoon
Soy sauce – 4 tablespoon
Red capsicum – diced half
Cooking Vinegar – 1 teaspoon
Corn flour – 2 tablespoon
Aji no moto – 2 pinches *optional*
Oil for sautéing and deep-frying
Salt as required.
Marinating ingredients:
White Pepper -1/2 teaspoon
Corn flour – 1.5 tablespoon
All purpose flour/maida – 1/2 tablespoon
Salt – You know how much
Soy sauce – ½ teaspoon
(Some chefs recommend egg here. I did not use eggs.)
Method:
In a mixing bowl, add the corn flour, all purpose flour, salt, soy sauce, white pepper, chicken (cut into bite-sized pieces) and mix well.
Cover the bowl and keep it aside for 30 minutes.
For deep-frying, oil should be medium hot.
Add the chicken pieces and fry the both sides of the pieces by turning them.
DON’T OVERCROWD THE PAN WITH SO MANY CHICKEN PIECES!!!
Remove when color changes to light golden brown (Don’t fry so crisply).
In a wok, heat the oil, and add the onion, ginger, garlic and fry them (on a high heat).
Add the green chillies, capsicum, spring onions and sauté.
Add the chicken pieces and fry.
Add the soy sauce, red chilli sauce and sauté.
Then add the vinegar, aji no moto (optional!), salt, and fry.
Add one cup of water, and mix well.
Meanwhile mix the corn flour with half cup of water without any lumps.
Add this to the wok and mix well for 2 minutes.
Enjoy with fried rice!

13 Bites:

Gorgeous combo, love the chill chicken! :)

wow love both of them....as Asha said gorgeous combo!

Its pretty good combo, I love chinese food, esp' home adapted version to suit our palate!!! Love ur hard work, both in the kitchen plus blogging, be happy!:)

Wow...Fried rice and chilli chicken...Thats a lovely combo Usha...looks delicious...just love it.

Thats one of my favorite meals. looks perfect and so tempting.

Veg fried rice looks perfect..With chilli chicken it rocks..Love your pics :)

Veg fried rice looks perfect, I also did not initially like chinese so much but now like it quite a lot...

Usha,what a yummy combo yaa..would like to come over..nice presentation as well !!

Lovely Indo-chinese dishes!

Yum..The ever so famous combo..:)
Loved the pics as well Usha...Sometime back I got this real restaurant type Fried rice recipe,which came out quite nice..Its in my spce,You may try it out also for kiddies..They'll love it..:)

love the fried rice. Looks so good and yummy.

I also don't like the restaurant made fried rice. Prefer to make at home. Ur version seems so good and perfect. Love the combo. Gorgeous.