Recommend it

Apr 2, 2009

Fruit Juice and Nostalgia

Orange juice
My dad's favorite question "Why not just peel and enjoy the natural fruit? "

Pachadi - பச்சடி
One of the childhood adventures was to climb on the branches of the mango trees and jump off them where the altitude was very low. As we didn’t have steps to the open terrace, I used to climb on the ladder and reach the terrace pick the mangoes straight from the tree. There were 4 varieties of mango trees in my garden. I just remember one name ---…neelam. Others I don’t remember. One variety was meant for pickles. I was really scared of the weaver ants (à®®ுசுடு - 'musudu' in my language) roaming on the tree branches and building nests with mango leaves. Nowadays whenever I see the mango trees I always remember my childhood and mischievous acts. Let’s see the recipe: For this pachadi, mango should be sweet and sour. But I made this pachadi with whatever type of mango I got in the store.

Ingredients:
Mango – 1
Red chilli powder – ½ teaspoon
Turmeric powder – 1 pinch
Mustard seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
Fenugreek seeds – 5 seeds (I didn’t add)
Salt
Oil, Jaggery – small piece (crush into powder),Curry leaves few

Method:
Cut the mangoes into small piece (some may like to add the seed also).
Heat the oil in the kadai.
Add mustard seeds and allow it to crackle.
Then add the mango pieces and sauté.
Then add the red chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt.
Add ½ cup of water.
When the pieces become tender add the jaggery powder and mix.

Buttermilk (à®®ோà®°்) :I remember thanneer pandhal which has both water and neer morr in earthen pots. Whenever I return back from school in a bicycle, I used to count by how many houses have kept thanneer pandhal. In some houses people will sit beside to give the drinks with a warm smile. Other places, no persons to attend. In some places, there won’t be any pots but only the pandhals are available. At my house, when relatives arrive, the first thing they get is morr. As we lived in tropical climate, only experience can tell how the one feels after having morr. No ice is added. It is just the earthen pot made from the pottery wheel. The magic is that the teeny tiny pores of the pot let some moisture of the contents to escape and in turn making it cool on the outside part protecting the morr from heat. This is a natural cooling process. Ah, science…
The way to make à®®ோà®°் as I know is, to crush green chillies, curry leaves, ginger and add to butter milk with salt.

Buttermilk sent off to the 15-minute event.

17 Bites:

love the orange peel picture :)
and yeah... neer mor is the best during summer :)

your dad is right! Why not eat fresh fruit instead of juice :) All of them look amazing Usha! Gorgeous pics.

Lovely recipes..I love the orange peel twist hanging over the glass..it looks very pretty :)

Hahaha! My first thought too, why not just eat the fruit, get lot of fiber! :)

Juice looks great. Love buttermilk and mango dish too.

Every thing including your nostalgia I share too Usha...lovely and hearty..the pictures are surely tempting...

He he i never knew how the earthen pot kept the water or moor cool. Great! Now i love to drink ur moor and the juice!

Lovely juice, dish and mor...Nice clicks Usha...esp. Love the first pic.

Yes having the fruit with peel is healthy we get fiber from it...Though it dont taste good...Nice pics usha...All of them are looking delicious...

Awesome picture, love mor during summer!

Me too like to eat fresh fruits!:)

love the first pic. nice array of dishes.

wow.. lovely recipes.. moor looks tempting...first time here. nice blog...

My H say the same as too, stunning first picture, love the orange peel..neer moor my all time favourite..those spicy mango tempting me a lot...am just drooling rite now over all ur dishes Usha...

The fresh orange juice looks gr8 and liked the idea of having the orange peel look. The buttermilk looks so very refreshing ...the heat here is only increasing:)Gr8 blog.

Love the Mango Pickle, Buttermilk and Orange Juice....nice cooling agent drinks with hot pickle :D.

Thaneer pandhal... what a lovely thought in our culture. Right. I too admire the houses with that concept. Ur more looks yummy for the season.

I found this site using [url=http://google.com]google.com[/url] And i want to thank you for your work. You have done really very good site. Great work, great site! Thank you!

Sorry for offtopic