I felt like making a chutney with different taste. Cranberry is the victim of this. Instead of making the chutney with usual ingredients, I replaced tomatoes with cranberries. For suppressing the bitter taste, I added jaggery. My hubby loved the side dish! I had it, but with little hesitation. I liked the color. Since it has Vitamin C, I took it for a better health. They almost taste like plums when eaten raw!

Ingredients:
Cranberry (fresh) -1 cup (cut into half)
Red onion – ½ (sliced)
Garlic – 2 cloves
Ginger – ½ inch (chopped)
Grated coconut – ¼ cup
Dry whole red chillies -4
Tamarind - 1 spoon
Powdered jaggery - 1 to 2 teaspoons
Salt as per taste.
Oil for sautéing.
Method:
Heat oil in a kadai and add sliced onions and sauté till it changes color.
Add ginger, garlic, red chilli and sauté.
Then add the chopped cranberries and sauté in low flame. Add the salt. When the cranberries become mushy, include the tamarind and sauté for 1minute . Remove from fire.
Cool. Grind all the sauted mixture with coconut. Finally add the jaggery according to your taste and run the blender once.







4 Bites:
Cranberry in chutney looks so unique and lovely. I have never tried it other than cranberry sauce.
I too feel the bitter taste like u. But many are saying that they don't sense it. Pic is perfect.
Wow awesome......Lovely color...
thank you vicky,lubna !
WOw Usha, lovely chutney, first time in ur space, got hooked to all ur recipes dear..Keep rocking..
Post a Comment