It is good for health to eat green leaves at least 5 days a week. We can create a kitchen garden in our home. Like mint plants, coriander, Gongura, curry leaves, tomatoes, peppers, spinach ….these plants can be grown in small-sized to medium-sized pots. We can get fresh leaves from our own home. Wherever I stay I like to grow plants in some pots.
Ingredients:
Baby Spinach – 3 cups (chopped)
Tuvar Dal – ½ cup
Coriander leaves – ½ cup
Onion – ½ (sliced)
Ginger grated – 1 teaspoon
Tomatoes – 2 (ripe- chopped)
Cumin seeds – ½ teaspoon
Coconut grated – 2 teaspoons
Asafoetida – ¼ teaspoon
Turmeric powder – ¼ teaspoon
Whole dry red chili -2
Mustard seeds – ¼ teaspoon
Salt to taste
Oil
Method:
Boil the Tuvar dal.
Take the cooked dal in a pan. Keep it in heat.
To the dal, add the chopped spinach and coriander leaves.
Let it boil for 5 minutes.
In another burner, heat the oil.
To the oil, add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
When the mustard seeds starts to crackle, add the red chilli, asafoetida and sauté.
Then add the sliced onions and fry.
Add the tomatoes,grated ginger and stir. No need to be mushy.
Then add the coconut gratings and fry for 30 seconds.
Add this mixture to the spinach dal.
Now add the turmeric powder, salt and mix well.
Remove from heat and serve with roti or rice.
This goes to the SWC: Cooking with Greens event.






16 Bites:
Naan appadiye saapiduven..lol i love this kootu that much..Healthy and delicious dish usha!
Amazing picture... looks so lucious and green mmm I use toor dhal and Moong dhal never made it with Red gram shall give it a try!!!
Delicious and healthy dish usha..looks tasty too :)
Hey Usha,not sure if this is my first time here....Spinach looks neat.Healthy one:)
kootu is looking delicious..
Love this with hot rice and little ghee. YUmmm comfort food.
Priya - This is our regular dish . I too Love very much.
Ramya - I think Red gram is tuvar dal. I used Tuvar dal.
Parita - Thanks.
Nithya - Welcome to blog.
Pooja - Thanks.
Looks delicious. I love combo of spinach n dal..very healthy!
this is a regular in my kitchen... lovely picture :)
one of my fav looks mouthwatering
Thats looking so delicious.. I always love greens.. amazing picture.. Like priya said if u give it i will finish the whole bowl.
Simple and delicious, my favorite kind of keerai preparation...
I like keerai kootu, I make pretty much the same way!
KOOTU LOOKS GORGEOUSLY GREEN USHA!
i have never tried kootu with spinach..good one..will try it soon.thanks for the entry..
The pic looks so inviting Usha. Dal Palak is one of my favorites and a way I ensure that my daughter eats greens the healthy
Post a Comment