Recommend it

Sep 6, 2010

Mohanthal

To begin with, mohanthal is a Gujarati sweet. The process of preparing the dish is very different from that of Mysore Pak. Some recipes include milk powder, heavy cream or khoya. I adapted this recipe from simply.food

Photography by Nandini


Ingredients:
Besan/Gram flour - 1 cup
Ghee/Clarified butter - 4 tbsp. + 1 tbsp.
Milk - 1 tbsp.
Ground green cardamom - 1/4 tsp.
Nutmeg - 1/2 tsp.

For sugar syrup:
Sugar - 3/4 cup
Water - 1/2 cup
Pinch of saffron
(I added saffron food color)

For garnishing:
Slivered almonds
Saffron one pinch and khus khus - 1.5 tsp (I didn't add)

Photography by Nandini


Method:
1. Warm milk and 1 tbsp. of ghee and rub the besan to appear like bread crumbs. Keep aside for 30 minutes.
2. Sieve the besan in a large-holed sieve. The texture of the besan should be similar to that of semolina.
3. Then in a pan, add 4 tbsp. of ghee and start roasting till the besan reaches golden brown colour. Keep aside.
4. In another deep pan, add sugar and water and bring it to boil. When the sugar syrup reaches the one thread consistency, remove the pan from the heat and add saffron colour or saffron and mix it well.
5. Add this sugar syrup to the roasted besan (at this stage besan should be warm) and keep stirring constantly. (This process is not done on a stove top).
6. Add cardamom and nutmeg and continue stirring. When it thickens, it should leave the sides of the pan and pour it on a greased plate. Spread the mixture on the plate very evenly. Garnish.
7. Leave it to sit alone for few hours.
8. Score them when it is warm. Cool them completely and enjoy them or store them in an air-tight container. Consume within a week.

Sent off to Nayna's "Flavours of Gujarat" event.

17 Bites:

Cute looking mohanthal, i love this besan burfi very much, but yet to try at home..awesome..

I love this and had yesterday only :-) Yumm!!!

Mohanthal looks delicious..never tried it at home..book marking your recipe :))

US Masala

I have tasted this and still have not tried. Thanks to u and simply.food for sharing it.
FOODELICIOUS

Woww.. what a classic recipe.. looks really good and delicious.. beautiful snaps :)

Dear Nandini
Your recipe just came in time...because the Doc said today that I could eat sweet as much as i want as there is no sign of getting diabetic...in fact I went to kitchen to make it just now, as SOMEONE is fast asleep...but no Nutmeg.....have to wait till tomorrow. :-(
Have a nice weekend

Dear Nandini
Your recipe just came in time...because the Doc said today that I could eat sweet as much as i want as there is no sign of getting diabetic...in fact I went to kitchen to make it just now, as SOMEONE is fast asleep...but no Nutmeg.....have to wait till tomorrow. :-(
Have a nice weekend

looks Delicious...and yummy!!

Mohanthal looks lovely & tasty..nice recipe.

Mohanthal looks delicious nandini ...wonderful yaar ...never prepared them ..thanks for sharing

Satya
http://www.superyummyrecipes.com

wow!!nice dish....thanks for sharing dear..

wow looks yumm !!

Lavanya

www.lavsblog.com