Recommend it

Dec 3, 2012

Murukku

Today I made this murukku for snack time. I hesitate most of the time to prepare this snack.......What ticks me off more is watching my hubby munching on murukkus the whole day without eating any regular meal. Even now he is munching while writing this post. I prepared this murukku with bengal gram flour and yellow split gram flour/moong dal.
I didn't add any black gram flour.



Ingredients:
Rice flour (home-made) - 2 cups
Bengal gram flour/kadalai maavu - 1/2 cup
Yellow split gram flour/paasi paruppu maavu - 1/2 cup
Red chilli powder - 1 tsp.
Asafoetida powder - 1/4 tsp.
Ajwain/Omam - 1 1/2 tsp.
Butter - 2 tsp.
Salt (to taste)
Oil (to deep fry)

Method:
Lightly melt the butter in micro wave. Keep aside.
In a bowl, add rice flour, Bengal gram flour, yellow gram flour, red chilli powder, asafoetida, ajwain and salt and mix.
Add butter and mix evenly.
Pour water little by little and prepare a soft dough.
Cover the bowl with a lid.
Heat the oil in a thick and wide deep pan in medium flame.
Add the required dough in the murukku presser with the star shaped nozzle.
(I pressed the murukku in spiral shape with the help of a Tupperware lunch box)
When the oil is hot, slowly and carefully drop the murukku and deep fry till golden brown.
Place it on tissue paper.
Continue with the remaining flour.
Once the murukku becomes cool, store them in an air tight container.

Note:
Take half a cup of moong dal and dry roast them till golden colour. Cool. Grind them into powder.
Sieve and then measure the flour to half cup.
Sieve each flour separately.