Recommend it

Dec 28, 2012

Bitter Gourd Stir-fry

Every day, the weather gets colder and colder. It feels like as if we're in a freezer. Whenever there is a power cut, we end up shivering vigourously.

Now about the bitter gourd, which is my hubby's favourite vegetable, I used to avoid it at all costs due to its famous bitter taste.

But that was 6 months ago. When my hubby introduced me to Healer Baskar's method, believe me or not, I actually started to enjoy this bitterness of bitter gourd. Thanks to the healer, I'm getting better. If you're interested, do visit his site.

Now onto the recipe...



Ingredients:
Bitter gourd - 2
Onions - 2 (sliced)
Garlic (peeled) - 10 to 12 cloves
Sambar powder - 2 tsp.
Turmeric powder -  a pinch
Salt (to taste)

To temper:
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp.
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp.
Whole black gram (dehusked) - 1 tsp.
Fennel seeds - 1 tsp.
Curry leaves - 2 sprigs
Oil (sesame) - as required

Method:


Wash the bitter gourds.



Cut the bitter gourds into thin slices. Remove the seeds (removing pith is optional).



Heat the oil in a pan. Add the tempering ingredients and allow the mustards to crackle. Add crushed garlic and curry leaves and saute till the garlic changes to golden colour.



Add the onions and saute till they change colour.



Add the sliced bitter gourd pieces and continue sauteing.



Saute till the bitter gourd pieces change colour.



Cover the pan with a lid. Cook the bitter gourd till 80%. Stir now and then to avoid burning (at this stage I kept the flame at simmer mode).



Now add the sambar powder, turmeric powder and salt. Mix well.



Sprinkle 2 tbsp. of water. Sprinkling water is optional (I sprinkled it for the bittergourd to mix well with the turmeric powder and salt).



Mix well.


Continue sauteing till the bitter gourd is fully cooked (pinch and check), dry and crisp.





Serve with sambar rice or rasam rice or mix with white rice and consume.

5 Bites:

Am just opposite to you, love the bitterness of bittergroud,Beautiful stir fry.

I love them bittergourd was not favorite when I was young, but I am crazy about it now. Looks delicious stirfry.

Delicious & healthy...I love karela fry!!
Prathima Rao
Prats Corner

delicious and lovely bittergourd fry.