It always feels good when you recollect interesting nostalgic events. This interesting incident happened in my life during 8th standard. It was a weekend. My mom had to visit one of our relatives in the neighbouring town. My dad was working in the morning shift. My mom said she will return by the end of the day. She told me to take care of myself and left. I was reading comics all day long till I realized that I was hungry. When I went to the kitchen to grab something to munch, nothing was there. My mom also had not returned till then. But I desperately needed something to eat. So I had to make whatever possible. This was my starting point in my culinary expedition. I took some rice and potato and cooked in the pressure cooker. That was the first time ever I cooked a dish in my life. I soaked tamarind for kozhumbu and the hardest part was peeling the shallot skin. I hardly finished peeling one shallot and tears came rolling down my cheeks. Then I chopped some brinjals which was very difficult. Somehow I finished cooking brinjal kozhumbu and potato fry. By the time my dad came and I served him food. He finished the food silently and smiled at me. And then he started to watch TV. After sometime, my mom came back with some unexpected guests-my uncle and my aunt. My mom was surprised at first when I told her I cooked food. She was proud of me. When my aunt and uncle started to eat they were LOL. The kozumbu was watery and spicy. My mom told them not to make fun of me. She said that at least I tried to cook. Whenever I think of that incident, I smile. At that time it was hard, and now it's easy for me to cook these dishes.
Now I added black chickpeas and amaranth stems with brinjal.
Ingredients:
Brinjal (small) - 4
Black chickpeas - 1/3 cup
Amaranth stems - 1/4 cup (cut into pieces)
Onion - 1 (medium - thinly sliced)
Garlic - 3 cloves (crushed & chopped)
Tomato - 1 (diced)
Tamarind - lime size
Sambhar powder - 1 tsp
Salt (as required)
Sesame oil
Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
Fenugreek seeds - 1/4 tsp (crushed coarsely)
Cumin seeds - 1/4 tsp
Asafoetida powder - 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves - 10
Method:
Cut the brinjals and drop them into a bowl of water.
Soak the chickpeas overnight and pressure-cook them.
Cut the Amaranth stems about 1 1/2 (one-and-a-half) inch length.
Soak the tamarind in 2 cups of water for 2 hours.
Heat the oil in a pan.
To the oil add mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, cumin seeds & asafoetida.
When the mustards crackle, add the garlic and fry.
Add the onion, curry leaves and fry.
Add the tomato and fry.
Add salt.
Now add the brinjals and fry. Then add the amaranth stems.
Add the sambhar powder and saute for a minute.
Now extract the tamarind juice and pour.
Mix well.
Let it boil.
When the gravy comes to half, add the boiled chickpeas .
Let it boil for another 5 minutes.
Serve with hot rice.
Potato fry:
Potatoes - 5 (medium)
Garlic - 4 cloves (finely chopped)
Fennel seeds - 1/4 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1/4 tsp
Salt
Oil
Sambhar powder - 1 tsp
Curry leaves
Method:
Cut all the potatoes into halves.
Boil them in a pressure cooker.
Peel the skin.
Cut them into any desired shape.
Heat the oil in pan.
To the oil add the mustard, cumin, fennel seeds.
Add the garlic and fry.
Now add the potato pieces and saute.
Add the sambhar powder, salt and mix well.
Finally, add the curry leaves .
This is sent off to Shama's "First Cooked Food Event".






15 Bites:
Loved reading you and it was so cute of you Usha to peel the shallot and try the dishes..great memories to cherich..
thanks for the recipes.
Loved to read your first attempt cooking Nandini... kuzhambu and fry looks yummy...
Haha my first cooking experience was almost the same, will post my experience very soon too..Such a wonderful memories na Usha..Kuzhambu and fry looks delicious, just love potato fry like anything..
Thats so sweet incident :) u know what..until 4 yrs back though i love onions i would never ever cut them..when mom wasnt at home i would ask my dad to do so :)
Looks very tasty and delicious dear:)
Lovely memories usha! Delicious curry and fry!
yumm yumm yummm looks amazingly delicius!
Loved both the dishes but my vote goes to Kuzhambu, feel like grabbing it off the photo. Nice memories to cherish and
you are too great nandini for the first time you cooked a nice combination kuzhambu and potato fry is a perfect combo.nice reading and delicious recipes
Lovel combo...looks so gud...just need little rice to eat tht rite away :)
Nice to know that for the first time you cooked two recipes...mom and dad are always sweet.... interesting and yum recipes...
Nice cooking experience nandini,loved the potato fry :)
Lovely memories.. wonderful dishes Usha.. looks very tempting.. nice job!!
Hey nice post ..enjoyed reading ur post ..hey Thanks for the recipe
loved reading your story...
Great job with the dish...
Post a Comment