Recommend it

Feb 16, 2009

Karuvepilai podi

Curry leaves powder (or) Karuvepillai podi
Curry leaves play an important role in seasoning or tempering in most of the south Indian home. Throughout my early years, right till I left for college, we had 2 curry leaf trees in our garden. Most of the times, while in the middle of cooking, mom will call and make me run to the garden and get the leaves. The oil will be already heating in the vessel. I had to run fast, get few leaves, wash them and then hand over to mom. The tree was a country variety. The aroma of leaves will linger in the home for a long time. I don’t find such varieties outside Tamilnadu. Every week she made sure for us to eat the curry leaves thuvaiyal. Neighbors, relatives, and milkman were lucky. They would freely go to the garden and take the leaves as much as they like. Chutneys, Sambhars, Rasam, Kootu, Poriyals, and non-veg dishes etc…, always got the extra distinctive flavor. அது எல்லாà®®் à®’à®°ு காலம். ஹுà®®்à®®்!!!!!!!! Now I don’t have a garden , so our shopping list never ends without curry leaves.
The medicinal values are…..There is some interruption.

H: Usha, what r u writing?
U: I am writing about curry leaves.
H: But, usually you don’t write blah, blah. Just the ingredients and the method. I thought u r writing an article for some newspaper.
U: Why should I write an article?
H: Don’t forget to write about the curry leaf plant, you grew in pots. hahahaha..
U: Why r u laughing?
H: Nothing.
U: Tell me!
H: The plants in the pots had the same height for 2 years.
U: U know the reason why…….it didn’t grow well. Okay I thought of writing medicinal values but now I am not interested.
H: Why?
U: I know only few uses like hair growth, diabetic friendly, etc…

Here are the ingredients:
Curry leaves -2 cups
Bengal gram (or)
Channa dal – ¼ cup
Urad dal – ¼ cup
Whole red chili – 5
Peppercorn – ¼ teaspoon (optional)
Tamarind – 1 spoon
Asafoetida – 2 pinches
Oil – 2 teaspoon
Salt as required

Method:
Wash the curry leaves and pat dry.
Fry the curry leaves in kadai without oil, till leaves become crisp.
Fry the Bengal dal, urad dal in oil until golden color separately.
Fry the whole red chili and tamarind.
Cool.
Grind all the fried ingredients ,peppercorn (optional)and mix salt and asafoetida.
It goes well with idlis, dosai and rice.


This goes to the event 'Kitchen Masterpiece'.

5 Bites:

the conversation is very interesting....beautiful presentation of the healthy karivepillai podi!

got something for you in my blog dear!

How nice to have curry leaves plant in your own backyard, I am sure the taste of those curry leaves would have been special....your daughter is very artistic, the presentation she has done is beautiful...the podi looks perfect :-)

Having a curry leaf tree in the garden..mm.. kindles my childhood memories for me. That country variety tree is becoming rare nowadays.Athellam oru porkalam:) .. you have a small plant in a pot too.. sounds interesting. your daughter's karuvepilai podi kolam is cute.Bookmarking this yummy podi.

Aaah...your daughter is very creative. Loved her work, awesome.

Between...it reminds me of my childhood days too. We had 1 curry leaves tree in our back yard too. Mommy does the same to me...after having kadai on the stove...she makes me to run. As you siad...milkman, veggie vendors and neighbours are all lucky....

Imagine...I don't find any curry leaves here, I brought a small bag of dried ones from my home(India), I use it very religiously '2 leaves' to a dish!

this is my most fav. podi. Looks so mouth-watering and you presented it very well. Great job!