Recommend it

Apr 19, 2010

Goda Masala

Maharashtrian Goda masala is used in vegetables, lentils and meat. I adapted this masala from a cookbook.

Just now we had a hail lasting for 4 minutes only.


Ingredients:
Coriander seeds - 1 3/4 cup
Dry red chilli - 25 gm
Dagad phul/Rock flower/Kal pasi - 1 tbsp.
Kopra/dessicated coconut  - 1 cup
Cumin seeds - half of half a cup
Shah jeera/Caraway seeds - 1 1/4 tsp.
Sesame seeds - 1/2 cup
Bay leaves - 4
Black cardamoms - 7
Cloves - 8
Cinnamon- 5
Black peppercorns - 1/2 tsp.
Turmeric powder - 1 tsp.
Asafoetida - 1 tsp.
Oil
Salt

Method:
Dry roast the sesame seeds till it turns light brown color.
Fry all ingredients in oil one by one or in groups of 2 or 3 spices till dark brown color without burning except turmeric and asfoetida.
I added 2 pinches of salt while frying chilies.
Powder them in batches and mix the turmeric and asafoetida.
Mix all well and store them in an air-tight container.

Dagad phul/kal pasi:

Sent off to Priya's "CWS-Cardamom Seeds" event.


Note:
I didn't add nag kesar as it wasn't available. 

9 Bites:

Heard a lot abt this flavourful powder but didnt get to try it out even once, this recipe would surely help me to try it out...thanks for the recipe...

Lovely..Your goda masala is the perfect one...I never use that flower...got to look for it

I never tried this but recently one of friend's mom had got from India. It taste so well.
Thanks for the recipe.

Nandhini,,,masala looks great dear heard about this masala but never used it in my cooking dear..but sure will try this to make n use in my cooking..

ohh recipe for goda masala .. yummy

Actually i was planning to prepare this goda masala since a long, but yet to prepare out, thanks for sending UN..

I have seen many recipes in blogs using this masala, thanks for sharing this Nandini, this is very useful :)

I use this masala in my cooking but have never tried making it at home! Wonder if I will find the ingredients for it here, thanks for sharing the recipe, looks perfect !